3D Virtual Reality System
The 3D Virtual Reality System uses a 70" 3D TV in combination with motion tracking hardware and specialized visualization software developed by the W. M. Keck Center for Active Visualization in the Earth Sciences at UC Davis. This system is currently being utilized for 3D visualization of ocean circulation.
Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer (ICP-MS)
Finnigan Element2 High Resolution Double Focusing Sector ICP-MS used for high precision elemental ratios in carbonates and trace element determinations in seawater and marine organisms.
New Wave UP-213 UV laser (213 nm wavelength) for ablation sampling of solids at micron scale spatial resolution.
The Element2 along with other analytical equipment (located in our Woodhouse Lab) is now managed by MSI as a recharge lab. There are numerous other analytical instruments managed by the Marine Science Institute that are generally available to researchers.
Contact lab manager Georges Paradis for details.
Stable Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometer (SIRMS)
Thermo MAT 253 coupled to Kiel IV (carbonate sample preparation devise), dual inlet analysis of CO2, and small sample capability (10 micron grams) is used to study carbon and oxygen isotopes in carbonates. For more information, surf to the Stable Isotope Lab.
Shimadzu GC-8A and Shimadzu GC-14A with custom automated sample extraction.
Valentine Group Equipment
The Valentine Group occupies laboratory space in Woodhouse (rooms 2009 and 2013) and the Marine Science Building (room 1003) and office space in adjacent Webb Hall (room 2029).
Equipment and instrumentation in the Valentine lab includes
- Shimadzu gas chromatographs (models 14A and 8A, equipped with flame ionization detectors or thermal conductivity detectors)
- Agilent 3000 microGC thermal conductivity detector gas chromatograph
- Peak Labs gas chromatograph (PP1) equipped with a reduction gas analyzer (for H2 and CO)
- Trace Analytical gas chromatograph equipped with a reduction gas analyzer (for H2 and CO)
- 2 Picarro CRDS (Cavity Ring Down Spectrometers) for CO2 and CH4 carbon isotopes
- Hewlett Packard 5890 series II gas chromatograph equipped with a flame ionization detector
- Monitor Instruments linear cycloid mass spectrometer
- Shimadzu 6A HPLC gradient system equipped with a UV/VIS detector
- Seabird water sampler rosette/CTD (6 × 6L bottles)
- Sentinel Workhorse 300 kHz ADCP
- Oxygen respirometer for microbial cultures
- New Brunswick BioFlo fermentor with a 10 L vessel
- Custom hydrogen stripping fermentor
- Hungate-style gassing stations for anaerobic microbiology
- Coy labs anaerobic chamber
- Autoclave Engineers impelled and jacketed pressure vessel for microbial cultivation at 100+ atm
- Eppendorf gradient cycler
- Gel documentation station
- 17 cu ft Thermo Ultra-low (-80oC) Temp Freezer
- 2 NBS Innova stackable incubators (and additional non-shaking incubators)
- Beckman model 6500 liquid scintillation counter
In addition, each lab is furnished with standard laboratory equipment including analytical balances,
microfuges, shakers, refrigerators and freezers, incubators, glove box, drying ovens, and UV/VIS